I. Brief Introduction to Huaqiao University
Huaqiao University was established with the approval of the revered Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai in 1960. It was based in Quanzhou, Fujian Province, a well-known hometown to many overseas Chinese. It is the first higher education institution intended for and named after Huaqiao. As a comprehensive university included in the national priority project, HQU is directly supervised by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, and jointly constructed by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, the Fujian Provincial People's Government, the Quanzhou Municipal Government and the Xiamen Municipal Government.
HQU has two campuses, respectively in Xiamen and Quanzhou. The former, dubbed “Glittering Pearl on the Sea” of China, is ranked as the Best City for Human Residence by the United Nations. The latter, dubbed “Hub of Eastern Asia”, is listed as a most famous historic and cultural city in China.
Rated as "Excellent" by the Ministry of Education in its first Undergraduate Teaching Performance Assessment, HQU currently consists of 28 colleges with 94 undergraduate programs, among which 10 have achieved the engineering education certification. There are 27 Master's programs of the first-level disciplines, 2 Master's programs of the second-level disciplines and 20 professional Master's programs, together with 8 Doctoral programs of the first-level disciplines, 2 Doctoral programs of the second-level disciplines and 5 Post-doctoral research centers in the university. The university offers 12 discipline categories including Philosophy, Economics, Law, Education, Literature, History, Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Medicine, Management and Arts, forming a coordinately developed discipline system that combines arts with science, integrates science with engineering and couples engineering with management. The university incorporates 41 state or provincial key disciplines and 17 provincial peak and plateau disciplines, among which Engineering, Material Science and Chemistry rank among the top one-percent in ESI (Essential Science Indicators). In 2018, the university ranked 28th in the comprehensive university list of Shanghai Ranking's Best Chinese Universities Ranking 2018 and 86th on its general list. Shanghai Ranking's Best Chinese Universities Ranking 2018 includes 4,999 disciplines from 460 universities in the Chinese mainland, among which 93 are first-level disciplines. Compared with 19 disciplines in 2017, 20 of HQU have been listed in 2018, ranking 83rd among the listed universities.
HQU is among the first Chinese higher education institutions to be authorized to admit overseas Chinese and foreign students. Currently, the university has approximately 30,000 students, including 5000 overseas Chinese and foreign students from Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and 50 foreign countries. HQU actively develops international cooperation, becoming partners with 200 universities in 50 countries from the five continents. The university is also one of the officially acknowledged universities that are enrolling international students funded by the Chinese Government Scholarship and has 84 admission offices across the globe.
HQU is oriented to students from abroad, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, aiming to serve overseas Chinese and spread Chinese culture, committing itself to the school principle of Integration of Chinese Wisdom and Foreign Expertise, Unification of Moral Character and Professional Excellence. Over 200,000 students of all levels have graduated from the university since its establishment. Around 50,000 alumni live abroad, mainly distributed in Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and countries or regions along the Maritime Silk Road, and have become friendship envoy in promoting communication and cooperation between China and those countries.
HQU covers an area of 2,500,000 square meters, providing well-equipped facilities and advanced laboratories for teaching and research. The school boasts a library with a collection of 4.7 million books, well-furnished dormitories, acclaimed school canteens as well as resources for a variety of sports, such as basketball, football, badminton, swimming and rock climbing. It’s an ideal place for students to grow and engage in their scholarly pursuit.
Chinese Language and Culture College of Huaqiao University is a teaching unit undertaking the teaching task of the Chinese language and culture education specialty, one of the first institutions qualified by China Ministry of Education to admit overseas students, one of the first bases for the Chinese language and culture education, officially approved by the State council’s Office of Overseas Chinese Affairs, one of the key schools, supported by China Hanban (National Office of Chinese), undertake the special mission of teaching Chinese to adjacent countries, and the earliest HSK testing centre in Fujian province.
Chinese Language and Culture College of Huaqiao University, formerly called Jimei Continuation School for Overseas Students, established in 1953 by the famous overseas Chinese leader, Mr. Tan Ka Kee, entrusted by Chinese government. The State Council’s Office of Overseas Chinese Affairs made a decision in 1997 that Jimei Continuation School be incorporated into Huaqiao University as Chinese Language and Culture College, combined with the department of teaching Chinese as a foreign language of Huaqiao University. For over 60 years, Chinese Language and Culture College is committed to serving overseas Chinese and spreading Chinese Culture, following Mr. Tan Ka Kee’s strict school-running spirit, promoting Chinese culture, and has cultivated over 80,000 students from over 90 countries and regions. Presently, the college has about 1,500 foreign students from over 50 countries and regions, such as Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Mongolia, Korea, Japan, America, Poland, Nederland, Spanish, Italy, Russia, Ukraine, Angola, Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Madagascar and Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan of China, and so on.
Chinese Language and Culture College offers three academic master degree programs: Mandarin Chinese and Chinese Language and Culture Education, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Chinese International Education; three undergraduate specialties: Chinese International Education, Chinese Language and Culture Education, Chinese Language. The college not only sets up academic education for postgraduates, undergraduates, junior college students, and non-academic education on preliminary, intermediate, and senior levels; but also offers multiple school-running forms, such as short-term Chinese training class, overseas Chinese teachers training class, summer (winter) camp for overseas students, preparatory course for overseas Chinese, and so on. The college has formed a multi-level and multi-form school-running system, which takes Chinese language and culture education as its main task, and has made outstanding contributions to the spreading of Chinese cultures and the development of overseas Chinese education, and thus enjoys a high reputation abroad.
II. Brief Introduction to the Scholarship for the Students of Overseas Chinese Language and Culture Education Specialty
1. Foundation Background and Application Object
The Scholarship for the Students of Overseas Chinese Language and Culture Education Specialty was set up by the State Council’s Office of Overseas Chinese Affairs in 2005, especially intended for the overseas Chinese who are aged less than 35 and aim to undertake the career of the Chinese language and culture education after completing the courses of the specialty.
2. Application Method
Applicants should apply for the scholarship via their local embassies or consulates, or certain unit entrusted by an embassy or a consulate. Applicants should sign an agreement with their local overseas Chinese communities or schools to guarantee carrying on the career of the Chinese language and culture education in their native countries for at least 5 years after graduating from this specialty.
3. Contents of the Scholarship
This Scholarship covers four years’ tuition fees, and four years’ accommodation fees, and a certain sum of living expenses.
III. Introduction to the Specialty
1. Teaching Contents and Cultivation Purpose
The Chinese language and culture education specialty takes the Chinese language, literary culture, and pedagogy as its basic teaching contents, and aims at cultivating teaching talents and talented managers who are able to wholly and systematically master the professional knowledge and skills of the Chinese language, know about Chinese historical culture, master teaching laws and methods of the Chinese language and culture education, undertake the work of the Chinese language and culture education, and possess certain research ability.
2. Features of the Specialty
The grogram is aimed to train Chinese Language teachers and management staff for overseas education institutions. Students learn systematically subjects concerning Chinese language and culture, language teaching methods, and will be equipped with skills and abilities required of to teach Chinese language abroad.
3. Program Duration, Graduation Requirement, and Degree Granting
The program duration is four academic years, and an academic credit system is adopted. Students who have completed the stipulated credits of the cultivation scheme and achieved a score of 210 points in HSK Level-5 test will be qualified for graduation and granted bachelor’s degree in education.
IV. Admission Candidates and Entrance Requirement
Overseas Chinese students who bear senior high school or higher diploma and aim to undertake the work of the Chinese language and culture education, can enroll for this specialty. Candidates should be aged less than 35, provide certificates of decent conducts, clean criminal records, and good health condition. Overseas Chinese students should acquire foreign long-term or permanent right of residence, besides the record of having been resided in a foreign country for over 2 years in recent 4years (counting back from the registration deadline) (having been resided in a foreign country up to 9 months will be rated as 1 year, but studying abroad or working in a foreign country is invalid). Students, who migrated from the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong, Macao, or Taiwan to a foreign country as a foreign student, must have been possessing the valid foreign passport or verification of nationality for at least 4 years, besides the record of having been resided in a foreign country for over 2 years in recent 4years (counting back from the registration deadline).
Directly making an application, and after the verification, the excellent candidates will be admitted.
VI. Application Procedures
1. Applicants of the scholarship for the students of the overseas Chinese language and culture education specialty please contact their local Chinese embassy or entrusted agents.
2. Self-supporting students can make an application by a recommended unit, a recommender or by themselves, and submit the application materials to the Admission Office of the Chinese Language and Culture College of Huaqiao University in person, by mail, by fax, or by E-mail.
VII. Application Materials
1. Please the scholarship applicants fill in the Scholarship Application Form for the Student of the Chinese Language and Culture Education Specialty, and the self-supporting students fill in Entrance Application Form of the Chinese Language and Culture College of Huaqiao University. Please log into the website http://hwxy.hqu.edu.cn, and click on the special subject of admission, download the form, fill it out, then have it printed and sign your signature for conformation.
2. Two color photos, which should be taken recently, two-inch (size: 35mm×50mm), half-length and bareheaded.
3. Copies of passport or other valid identity documents. The original documents will be checked when transacting the registration procedures. Overseas Chinese students must hold Chinese passport and foreign long-term or permanent residence certificate; submit the notarial certificate or the original certification issued by their local Chinese embassies or consulates, which is used to certify possessing the right of foreign long-term or permanent residence and the fact that having been resided in foreign country for more than 2 years, and the recent 4 years’ (counting back from the registration deadline) the Search Result of Exit-Entry Records of the examinees themselves, issued by the Exit-Entry Administration of Xiamen Municipal (or Quanzhou Municipal) Public Security Bureau.
Students, who migrated from the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong, Macao, or Taiwan to a foreign country as a foreign student, must have been possessing the valid foreign passport or verification of nationality for at least 4 years, besides the record of having been resided in a foreign country for over 2 years in recent 4years (counting back from the registration deadline) (having been resided in a foreign country up to 9 months will be rated as 1 year, which is subject to the time of entry and exit signature); and the recent 4 years’ (counting back from the registration deadline) the Search Result of Exit-Entry Records of the examinees themselves, issued by the Exit-Entry Administration of Xiamen Municipal (or Quanzhou Municipal) Public Security Bureau.
4. The graduation certificate or the credential of senior high school or even higher than it, and every academic year’s transcript should be notarized or authenticated by the local Chinese embassy or consulate. If the above documents are written in non-Chinese or non-English, then they should be translated into Chinese or English. The above original documents will be checked when transacting the registration procedures.
5. The original recommendation letter from the local Chinese embassy or local overseas Chinese societies and communities, or secondary school principals.
6. The scholarship applicants must submit the copy of the agreement on returning to their native country to undertake the career of the Chinese language and culture education. The above original document will be checked when transacting the registration procedures.
7. Physical Examination Form
Students are required to take a physical examination in their native countries’ medical institutions and secure their health certificate, which will be submitted to the college together with their X-ray film, blood examination record.
VIII. Registration Deadline
For scholarship students: the closing date is May 30, 2019. For self-supporting students: the closing date is July 30, 2019.
IX. The Transaction of Study Visa
Overseas Chinese students should go to their local Chinese embassies or consulates to transact the student visa procedures by taking Admission Notice, and foreign students should do the above affair by taking Admission Notice and JW202 Form. Within 30 days after entering China, all students must change visa X into residence permit, and the fees for the permit and physical examination should be payed at students’ own expenses.
In accordance with the regulation of the Ministry of Education, foreign students who intend to study in China for one semester or longer are advised to buy comprehensive insurance before entering China as instructed in Procedures for Insurance. The admission office will check the student’s insurance statements .
1. Registration Fees: 500RMB;
2. Teaching Material Fees: 600RMB/academic year;
3. Tuition Fees: 15000RMB/academic year, but it is free for the students who have gained the scholarship for the Students of Overseas Chinese Language and Culture Education Specialty granted by the State Council’s Office of Overseas Chinese Affairs;
4. Accommodation Fees: 1300RMB/person/academic year for a quad room, but it is free for the students who have gained the scholarship for the Students of Overseas Chinese Language and Culture Education Specialty granted by the State Council’s Office of Overseas Chinese Affairs, and the free dormitory room will be arranged by college, which will accommodate four students in one room, furnished with the an air conditioner, a water heater, a private bathroom, etc.;
5. Living Expenses: students who have gained the scholarship for the Students of Overseas Chinese Language and Culture Education Specialty granted by the State Council’s Office of Overseas Chinese Affairs can gain a certain sum of living expenses every month.
XII. Contact Methods
Chinese Language and Culture Education Section of Huaqiao University of China
Contact: Teacher Zhang
Address: Jimei Avenue No. 668, Jimei District, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China
Post Code: 361021
Telephone Number: +86-592-6161885
Admission Office of the Chinese Language and Culture College of Huaqiao University of China
Address: Jiageng Road No. 8, Jimei District, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China
Post Code: 361021
Telephone Number: +86-592-6068011
Contact: Teacher Zheng, Teacher Zhang